Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bad Knees and Exercise DVD's

Within a couple weeks of giving birth to E I weighed about 25ish less pounds then I did before getting pregnant. I was thrilled, finally months of nausea paid off, I had a baby and I was well on my way to me goal weight!

Fast forward 5 months add in some sleepless nights, ppd, financial stress, you know how it goes, and I have gained back those 25 pounds :(

In an effort to loose 60 pounds ad reach my goal weight I have decided to do 2 main things, exercise every day to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd and start a "rice diet" (more on that in another post).
Yesterday was the first day I did the dvd and it was hard! UGH!!! I was convinced, during it, that Jillian Michaels was trying to kill me.

Now, let me back up for a minute here, about 3 years ago i was having a lot of knee pain so I went to the Dr. and was diagnosed with patella -femoral disease aka runners knee (which doesn't make sense cause the only time I even thought about running was the year at the Honor Academy . . . . anyway)
In January of this year I went to a chiropractor who ended up X-raying my knees and informing my that almost all the cartilage is gone from my left knee meaning when I bend it I'm scraping bone on bone (it also makes a nifty little popping/squishing sound when I bend it and if you touch it while I bend it it can really gross you out) and about 25% of the cartilage is gone in my right knee. Lately my knees have been feeling good . . . until yesterday.


I did the dvd at about 6pm by 9pm I was in pain. it hurt when I walked, sat, crossed my legs, you get the idea. between E waking up ( he is in the worst habit of waking at 3am for NO REASON - oi!) and accidently bumping the knee I slept terribly last night.

So, today I've got my old brace on it and I plan on putting ice on it periodically.

But the point of all this rambling is that I'm really frustrated. I can't ride a bike anymore - something I've always loved doing, and now I can't use the dvd I had my hopes set on.
So that leaves me with the treadmill. I actually have a super nice treadmill that N bought me over a year ago. I used it before E was born and I guess it's time to get back on.
I do plan on trying the dvd again in a couple days once my knee starts to feel better.
Next time though, I'm going to ice it right after I finish working out hopefully that will help.


No comments:

Post a Comment