Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cloth Diapers-Part 1

I love cloth diapering, it's something I'm very passionate about.
We've CD since E was 3 wks old and I plan on CDing from the get go with our new little one.
This week I'll be going over some basic CD info to, hopefully, help clear up any questions anyone may have.
There are a lot of different kinds of CD on the market today. The kinds of CD's that our parents and grandparents used have been overshadowed by all the newfangled kids available now.
The best description that I have found of all the different types of cloth diapers cahttp://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=8592644183983133450n be found here she gives great details about the different styles, fabric choices, etc.

I did a lot of research before E was born as to what kind of CD's to buy. We ended up purchasing 7 flip covers - Love these covers, they are one-size covers so they save a lot of money vs buying diapers in multiple sizes

1 Econobum Cover - I only bought 1 to try and I'm glad of that. this cover is pretty thin and doesn't contain E's runny BM's like the flip does. It's definitely one of the covers I grab last.

25 Indian Prefold's-Infant size
20 Indian Prefold's-regular size - We fold these in thirds and place them in the diaper cover, top with a liner and we're good to go!.
1 Chinese prefold-regular size - I bought 1 to try and found out I like the Indian prefolds better because they are softer and unbleached.

2pkg's bummis fleece liners - When these first came I love them but after washing them for a few weeks they became thinner and now they are too small to use on my 24lb 30" tall 8 month old. After purchasing these I realized I could simply buy a yard of fleece and cut it into rectangles to use as liners. It was cheaper and they have held up MUCH better than the bummis liners.

1 pkg BumGenius! Stay Dry Doubler - These are nice for adding an extra layer of absorbency but they don't help E stay dry at all.

1lg Hemp Babies Diaper Doubler - I had read that hemp was supposed to be absorbent and help your lo stay dry but I have been less than impressed with this liner. Once again, I'm glad I only bought one. Perhaps if it were 100% hemp instead of 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton I would like it more.


I also picked up
2 Bummis super snap diaper covers-Medium size - these are alright, I prefer 2 rows of snaps and they do no work for night time, E leaks through them in 2 to 3 hours.
and
3 Proraps Classic diaper covers-newborn size
at a garage sale when E was about 2 1/2 months old. - I haven't gotten to use these yet but plan to as soon as this lo is born.

I also just ordered 12 BumGenius 3.0 one size diapers and 36 Premium Indian prefolds.
The BG's are from cotton babies cyber Monday last chance sale so they may need the elastic repaired and they don't come with inserts, I plan on using prefold's as inserts, I'm really excited to try them! I'm hoping that the Premium Indian prefolds will help E stay dry at night.
I'm in the process of making 2 wool shorties to use on E at night to help keep him and his sheets dry.
As soon as the BG's come and I get the shorties finished I'll review them here.

So, there you have it, my Cd stash.
Sure, Cding is a bit more work but we haven't had any diaper rash from the CD's and it is sooo much cheaper than buying sposies' all the time!
















No comments:

Post a Comment